28 October 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up

Considering my history of sporadic blogging gaps I thought a little structure may help me out.   Every Friday I'm going to share something that I've been enjoying, working on, or drooling over with you! 
This week has been Christmas gifts.  We're going to try to give strictly homemade gifts this year.  Of course, I can't share everything we're making, but when I can I will.
First on the list is Madelin.  I'm sure she won't mind we spoil the surprise.  She's good at sharing...kinda.



 My name is Ashley and I have a problem.  It usually present itself when a garage sale sign is present.  I don't know what happens. Something just comes over me and I follow that sign like its a road map to Baskin Robbins (ice cream is also a problem, but that's for another time). 
Typically I don't stop unless it has furniture and is located in an older neighborhood.  (I like my purchases to come with history and baggage.)

Last week on my way home from work (with no time to spare, I might add) I stopped at a garage sale in College Hill.  This is one of those neighborhoods where each tree seems to be perfectly placed, the houses (no two are alike) are scrupulously kept up and it just makes you want to sit on their front porch and watch the children play.
 Well...lets just assume you know the people who's porch you end up sitting on. 
Otherwise, that's a little creepy isn't it.

Back to my story.
I found an old nightstand and a bookcase with doors which I haggled down to $20- for the pair!  The bookcase is real wood, by the way, which is very exciting for those of us who like to paint furniture.
I didn't really need a nightstand, but I've been looking at some DIY play kitchens and for $10 it was worth it.
For example...



 I love the modern color combination paired with the classic lines of the nightstand.  Look at those glass knobs; don't even get me started.  This one is definitely for a girlie girl, or the girl who likes to pretend to cook and never will.


 I like the simplicity of this one because, lets face it, I'm no Ana White.  A little paint, plywood and elbow grease equals a great-looking play kitchen.



This one looks pretty similar to the one I picked up.  I haven't decided if I'm going to take both the drawer faces off or just one.  I know I want an hinged oven door, but I'm not sure if I want to attempt a microwave or just the curtain.
Good thing Christmas is two months away.


 

This is awesome!

Am I too old to play with this too?



This is by far my favorite.  The tile accent and the oven light make it so realistic, plus Madelin loves turning lights on and off.  Two birds with one stone people.


There you have it.  One man's junk really is another one's treasure (or in our case, Christmas present).

No comments:

Post a Comment